On Friday, the Trump Administration announced that they were deploying another 1500 troops to the Middle East in response to the attacks by top leaders in the Iranian government.
Earlier in May, the United States made the decision to send an aircraft carrier strike force as well as B-52 bombers to show off America’s force considering leaders in Washington felt that Iran was gearing up to make an attack on American assets.
As well as sending troops to the Middle East, President Trump is selling arms to US ally Saudi Arabia which just so happens to be a strong enemy of Iran in the area.
“This is a prudent response to credible threats from Iran,” stated acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan.
We want to have protection in the Middle East,” he said to reporters before he departed to Japan.
“We’re going to be sending a relatively small number of troops, mostly protective,” Trump added. “It’ll be about 1,500 people.”
Check out what Yahoo News reported:
The new deployment includes reconnaissance aircraft, fighter jets and engineers. Six hundred of the personnel belong to a Patriot missile defense battalion that had its deployment in the region extended.
Pentagon officials said the move was necessary after multiple threatening actions and several small-in-scope attacks in May by Iranian forces, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps, and “proxy” forces.
Those include a rocket launched into the Green Zone in Baghdad, explosive devices that damaged four tankers in Fujairah near the entrance to the Gulf, and a Houthi drone attack against a Saudi oil installation.
According to Rear Admiral Michael Gilday, the original threat from Iran came earlier in May.
The United States caught the Iranian military attempting to covertly deploy “modified dhows capable of launching cruise missiles,” he said.
“We view this as a campaign,” Gilday added.
The moves “are all part of a dangerous and escalatory strategy by Iran to threaten global trade and to destabilize the region.”
“We believe with a high degree of confidence that this stems back to the leadership of Iran at the highest levels, and that all of the attacks… have been attributed to Iran through their proxies or their forces,” Gilday also noted.
According to Yahoo News, “US officials said the aim was both to extend greater protection to the 70,000 US forces deployed in the Middle East and Afghanistan, and to deliver a message to Iran to refrain from attacks.”
“We think that through a combination of a very measured deployment of assets as well as public messaging, we are again trying to underscore that we are not seeking hostilities with Iran,” Gilday said.
Gilday also said that the initial threats from the US towards Iran have had impact considering the original threats from Iran have seemed to die down.
What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments below!